Slave to the Algorithm 2: Breaking the Chains.

 


Regularly, it seems I suffer from what we know as Nationalist Fatigue and over the last couple of months I have to say this feeling has been particularly acute, which is the reason for my being largely absent during this time.


I just find it such a burden knowing the things I know, so depressing and utterly draining being angry all the time, seeing and focussing on all that is bad in the world. It's no way to live and, quite frankly, I refuse to have my life ruined by it all. I refuse to sacrifice the enjoyment of the rest of my life for what seems far too often to be a lost cause.


I've become so very tired of Twitter, so very tired of all the Nationalist talking heads and their constant hot-takes, often unmemorable esoteric overreach served up on the daily simply to maintain the authors' relevance and keep the pennies rolling in. So very tired of the larger dissident right and its constant hysteria over every little thing being part of some grand conspiracy and the constant predictions of the fall of the regime, the end of civilisation and the implosion of the left etc. France is on fire they say, multiculturalism has failed. If I had a Franc for every time France burned I'd have enough to purchase a few frogs to boil, that's for sure. It's all the same stuff being tweeted and retweeted anyway, so it's like being hit multiple times in the face with the same wet fish.


The constant doom-scrolling, which can mesmerise me sometimes for hours on end, slowly draining the life and soul from me is too much. I'm also convinced that many of the talking heads, including one previous leader of this community is operating a policy of non-engagement with us, or probably me specifically. They're all too snobby and elitist to want to engage with the plebs anyway, so fuck them.


Because of this I now barely ever use Twitter and my Youtube has been completely overhauled.


One of the issues is that the algorithm on Youtube and Twitter serves you up what you focus on. Sounds obvious I know, let me explain.


There's a famous book by Rhonda Byrne called The Secret. It's all about manifesting what you want in your life through the power of positive thinking. The idea is that "the universe" hears your thoughts and reflects them back at you. So if you focus on bad shit, you'll get bad shit, and if you focus on good shit, guess what? That's what you'll get.


This is all a bit woo as they say, but there is something in it, that's undeniable. But in a very real and un-woo way, the Twitter and Youtube algorithm does the very same thing. You tell it, (or rather I've been telling it) what I don't like, and that's what it was serving me. What I and probably you have been doing is ordering a plate of shit, then when it arrives you chow down on it, lick the plate clean and wonder why it tastes like shit and makes you feel like shit. So as far as Youtube is concerned I've now removed all political content from it by clicking on "not interested" or "don't recommend this channel" and refocus on things that I do like, which are boxing, crypto-currency, history, travel, and languages to name a few.


I think what I'm trying to do is compartmentalise these things into politics, work, and leisure. It's just not healthy to focus entirely on the first two.


So I've had a couple of months off to get my head in order and compartmentalise all this shit so that I can deal with it without sinking into despair and depression. 


I decided during this time to only write a post when the current one has a thousand comments. This takes the pressure off me a little bit, meaning I don't have to come up with some bullshit hot-take of my own just for the sake of it. Of course, if the blog is busy you'll get more, so how hard I work on it is down to you.


I had a couple of weeks off work too. It was great forgetting about all the shit for a while. I got a new bike on the Cycle to Work Scheme which gives you a discount through your tax for a new bike. Cycling in the summer is great. Wind in your hair, the feeling of freedom, takes me right back to being a kid, and it's healthy for you and the environment and totally free once you have the bike. You should try it.


I also met up with Mr Copyright and friend of the blog Orion. We had lunch and I went mad and had one and a half pints of continental lager. I'd like to tell you we had a high-brow conversation about philosophy and strategy or came up with some grand plan for total victory but I'd be lying. I came out against olives and coleslaw. That's a hill worth dying on.


A good time was had by all and it was over far too soon.


So that's it, that's the post. A bit of a ramble, a bit of a moan. I did consider doing it as an audio rant but I'm not confident enough to do that.


I've got some other ideas for proper posts so fear ye not, the holiday is over and I'm not abandoning the place. We rumble on, if only because I know it upsets Grumpy.


Ciao for now.

Comments